If blog traffic that you get from email marketing converts well. It just does perform better when you have targeted email marketing lists.
…Remember that it is also known as permission marketing. It’s like someone who said: I agree, send me emails as you scheduled.
Unlike other marketing channels, email is personal. It does not get lost because you’re offline. It goes directly to the inbox.
The Fact is, an active internet user (your potential customer), check his email five times a day on average.
It makes the process of converting visitors into customers ridiculously easy. And it can be all automated.
But, how to build a targeted email list to grow your blog audience?
You don’t just need subscribers for the sake of getting subscribers. Do you?
How to make those subscribers buy from you and share your content?
In theory, you can do it in just two simple steps:
- grow your email list around interests;
- engage your subscribers.
In this post, let’s see how to really take action to make it works. Just the step by step email list building strategies that you need.
Build targeted email marketing lists
To build an email list, the first step is to join an email service provider. It will help you collect email addresses, send automated/manual emails, and so on.
Step 1 – Go for your ideal email marketing service
The perfect email service provider depends on what you want. However, there is a service I’d like you to consider.
MailerLite: The first thing I like about MailerLite and that it is free until you get 1000 subscribers. And when you get more than 1000 subscribers, it is cheaper than most email service providers.
I feel that I am not trapped into a expensive service with a free bait.
I used SendGrid with MailPoet WordPress plugin before. But I was happy to move to Mailerlite. It’s because:
- Easy integration with popular services like Aweber, Mailchimp, Converkit can do it.
- You get advanced autoresponder series with your free plan.
- You can automate list segmentation when subscribers interact with your emails. You can segment them using the form they signed up. It makes targeted list easy.
- it is cheap. $10 for up to 2500 subscribers; $35 for up to 10,000 subscribers. Aweber is $69 for 10,000 subscribers in comparison.
Create your free account with MailerLite today.
ConverKit: Ideal for bloggers who sell online courses. It helps you collect emails with content upgrades, segment subscribers based on forms, click on emails and open rate.
Aweber: One of the most popular email marketing software. You get 30 days trial to test the system for free. After the 30 days, you’ll pay starting at $19 per month for up to 500 subscribers.
I use and recommend MailerLite. However, it is up to you to choose the one that will help your business the most.
The email marketing service you choose highly depend on what you need. If you haven’t started your mailing list already, it’s time to do so.
Now that you joined an email service, it’s time to start collecting emails.
Step 2 – Get targeted email subscribers?
To effectively grow your email list, you need to collect email addresses from people who really want what you have to offer.
Any above email marketing service will give you a form to collect emails. The best performing places to put them are:
- On your homepage/blog page featured at the top: Your homepage is your most visited page. Add an opt-in form to capture more emails from people who want to know more about your blog. If you share your latest posts on a static page, add a featured opt-in form there as well.
- Right after your blog post: Get someone who enjoyed your post to join your list for more goodies. Once they finish their reading, ask them to stay updated. You get people who really want to be in with that method.
- On a landing page: A landing page is designed to convert. One page designed for a specific action. You can create them to boost your email list. Design it yourself, use ready-themes or use tools like Optin Monster, ThriveLeads to create landing pages.
- Two-step signup link or inline opt-in form: I enjoy two step signup CTA and inline form because they are used by people who actually read your posts. And it helps again most automated signups. ThriveLeads has that option.
- pop-up box: Show a pop-up when your visitors enter your website, navigate or want to leave. Love it or hate it; but it works like crazy.
Normally, people who knows you and really care about what you’ve shared join your mailing list once you ask them.
But there are people who stumble upon on your blog for the first time. And they will never visit your blog again… unless you ask them their email to contact them later.
To grow your list with those people, you need to give away free stuffs.
It can be:
- an email course;
- a content upgrade;
- a post in PDF;
- a video course.
Now, you just need to increase your blog traffic to get people to see your opt-in forms and join your email list. You did the hardest part. But one crucial step remains.
You have to engage with your subscribers.
Step 3 – Engage your email subscribers
One key to the effectiveness of email marketing is trust. And trust comes from engagement.
You must engage with your subscribers once they join your list. At least, for two reasons:
- There are people who sign up just to download your free offer and unsubscribe. It’s your only opportunity to make them stick around. Let them know how valuable your blog is.
- People who never heard from you for a while forget if they accepted to receive your email and perceive it as spam.
Your first contact with your subscribers is your welcome email.
Make sure you make it friendly and useful. include most of these elements onto your welcome email:
- A friendly greeting
- Why it worth being on the list. Ex: each week, we send a tip to grow your audience.
- the gift you promised if any or a surprise gift.
- a request to contact you if needed.
- a call to action. (Teach them to act).
Many internet marketers found it useful to schedule an auto-responder series. It can help a lot.
First, it automates the process.
You can use it to sell a course, a book or anything else to your new subscribers who missed your launch. And it will do well every time a targeted customer join.
Then, you can use to send well-performing posts you published. Chances are the readers never knew they existed.
The more free things you give away such as new blog posts on regular basis, free courses, free documents, the more trust you’ll earn in return.
The more trust you’ll gain, the more money you can make from your mailing list. Don’t you buy from people you know who can really help you?
One important thing…
Don’t neglect your email list. Keep it active.
Once, I was busy.
I had no auto-responder series, not even a welcome email. And I did not write a single post for more than four months in a row on my blogs.
It hurts a lot.
I could not delete inactive subscribers. They all seemed to be inactive. They forgot who I am when I wrote. etc…
Your email list is your most important community… more than any social media following.
If your blog goes offline on your behalf, you can easily get your blog back to life with your email list. Your loyal community.
They are the very first persons who want to buy from you or to buy an affiliate product you recommend.
So, make sure you keep this community active.
And, don’t hesitate to remove inactive people from your list. You want to build a targeted email marketing list. It has to be segmented to contain only engaging subscribers you want to take a specific action.
Go grow your blog audience via email marketing
In this post, we covered everything you need to build a mailing list and grow it to get more blog traffic and make more money.
Like people says: ‘The money is in the list’.
It’s your time to take action.
Go get more email subscribers, more blog traffic and boost your blog income.
If you enjoyed the post, take the time to share it with your peers on your favorite social accounts.